Pages


“It's a lot easier to be lost than found. It's the reason we're always searching and rarely discovered--so many locks not enough keys.”
-Sarah Dessen

"Happiness doesn't come from doing what you like, but rather, loving what you do."
-Becca & Scott (JC & AC)


Monday, October 15, 2012

Children in Winter

Author's Note: Our journal prompt in the Writing Lab was "You are standing on Pewaukee Lake Beach watching the sun set. What do you see, hear, smell, taste, or feel?" This is my response to this prompt. Feel free to give suggestions!


As the glowing pink of the sunset reflects off my glasses, the sharp winter air of January claws at my already reddened cheeks, interrupting the beauty. I see my breath dance in front of me the moment I open my mouth in awe. Suddenly, I am very grateful for the soft mittens enclosed around my fingers. Their warmth comforts me like chicken noodle soup when you are sick, or the embrace of your mother's arms when you are sad. The sounds of laughter from the children enjoying the snow insulates my ears, creating a barrier from the cold.
Maybe this sunset will melt the frozen hearts of the world, empty them, like the children in the winter.


1 comment:

  1. I love the word choice in this piece. I don't have any advice on what to fix. It's perfect.

    ReplyDelete