Pages


“It's a lot easier to be lost than found. It's the reason we're always searching and rarely discovered--so many locks not enough keys.”
-Sarah Dessen

"Happiness doesn't come from doing what you like, but rather, loving what you do."
-Becca & Scott (JC & AC)


Thursday, September 27, 2012

This is Me

Author's Note: This is my personal memoir from language arts reflecting on a very life changing event a few years ago. Please interpret the lesson from this story and comment! :D


"This is me."
As the song fades to an end, I ease into my final pose, breathing heavily through the smile that is plastered on my face-- not that it needs to be, I am fairly certain that if I hammered the cement grin off my face, I would still be smiling ear to ear. Although the crowd has no more than thirty five people, the audience roars in applause. My jaw really hurts; I just can't seem to wipe this beaming expression away. I gracefully stand up from the floor and politely curtsy before running "backstage" (which really wasn't backstage considering that I was dancing in a fish hatchery...) to greet my mother's embrace.
"Great job," she whispers and the moisture of her breath sticks in my hair. Maybe it will wash away some of this rock-hard hairspray and gel.
Now, I wait full of anticipation through the other dances, and finally, I hear, "Will all the performers please make their way up to the stage. Thank you."
Then.
"The winner of the 6 year old age group...."
The.
"The winner of the 7 year old age group..."
Moment.
"The winner of the 8 year old age group..."
Comes.
"Waukesha County's Favorite Dancer is.... Erika Ziolkowski age nine!"
 Ecstatic. On cloud nine. Can't wrap my brain around the fact that.... I am supposed to be taking my trophy and award! I force my feet in the direction of the judges. 
"Congratulations."
Running my fingers over the intricate designs of the dancer on top of the trophy, I promise myself to always live life to its fullest--give 103% effort. Spectacular things always come from the extra push.
I will always live that dance.

No comments:

Post a Comment